“After a catastrophic event like Hurricane Harvey, we immediately focus on our neighbors and community businesses as well as insurance companies and relief agencies, plus critical government, insurance and utility personnel.”
Karl Koch, General Manager and Vice President (Houston) – Enterprise Holdings Sept. 2017
We play a unique role in providing local transportation alternatives when hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, floods, hailstorms and other natural disasters strike. Because Enterprise Holdings Inc. operates more than 6,400 neighborhood and airport branch offices throughout the U.S. and 760 locations across Canada, we are prepared and staffed to respond quickly and seamlessly, to move vehicles throughout North America and into affected areas, and to help insurance companies, utility companies and government agencies get the recovery and restoration process under way as quickly as possible.
Insurance adjusters and relief workers are often first on the ground and typically need vehicles to assess damage. To that end, each Enterprise regional operation has an Emergency Action Plan that focuses on how branch offices communicate with each other to ensure that the right number and types of vehicles are available where they’re needed most.
For example, our employees may be sent home with mobile tablets, which allow them to process rental transactions away from the counter in virtually any location. As a result, our employees – armed with their Enterprise LaunchPad® tablets – may quickly be reassigned from inoperable branch offices to other facilities. This state-of-the-art mobile technology also makes it easier to manage local demand when customer calls come into closed branch offices and are forwarded to other operational sites.
In addition, Enterprise Rent-A-Car (ECAR) has a Mobile Emergency Response Vehicle (MERV) that operates as a portable, state-of-the-art branch office in the event of an emergency in the U.S. or Canada. MERV is equipped with three workstations, five computers and a front counter. It can operate on a generator for more than 120 hours, supporting relief efforts even before local power is restored.
These emergency-preparedness efforts have been widely recognized. For example, both the National League of Cities and New York Gov. Cuomo’s office have noted Enterprise’s leadership in disaster recovery efforts. Government Executive magazine likewise recognized Enterprise in its “Crisis Management: Storm Surge” article that highlighted the company’s support for emergency responders during Superstorm Sandy. And in 2012, Enterprise Holdings addressed the Homeland Security Public-Private Partnerships Conference regarding the critical support role of Enterprise during times of crisis.
Beyond supporting mobility and infrastructure needs during times of emergency, Enterprise also works with nonprofit partners to assist with disaster relief efforts. For example, Enterprise has worked with the Red Cross globally for more than 30 years, including an annual multi-million-dollar commitment by the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation – the philanthropic arm of the Enterprise brand – to the Red Cross’s Annual Disaster Giving Program (ADGP). Contributions to ADGP provide a reliable funding base for disaster relief services, enabling the Red Cross to respond immediately to meet the needs of those affected by disasters of all sizes, at no cost and regardless of income.
Related Press Releases and Recent News:
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation’s 2018 Disaster Relief Aid Grows to Nearly $2.8 Million
- Enterprise Activates Emergency Response to Assist Victims of Hurricane Florence
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation Donation Supports Wildfire Victims
- Tornado Damage Causes Rush on Car Rentals
- Enterprise Extends 2017 Disaster Relief Aid to Puerto Rico Following Hurricane Maria
- Rental Firms' Disaster Readiness May Help Usher The Age Of Self-Driving Cars
- Enterprise Locations in Florida, Caribbean Begin Reopening
- Enterprise 2017 Disaster Relief Aid Grows to $3 Million
- Enterprise Transporting More Than 17,000 Rental Cars and Trucks to Assist Disaster Recovery in Southeast Texas
- Drivers Whose Cars Were Flooded by Harvey Can't Find Rentals
- Enterprise Deploys Emergency Action Plan in Texas
- Enterprise Providing Transportation Support and Aid for Relief Efforts in Southern Louisiana
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Pledging $100,000 to Canadian Red Cross Disaster Relief in Fort McMurray
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Renews Annual Support for American Red Cross Disaster Relief with $1 Million Gift
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Insurance Companies and Collision Repair Centers Working Together in Texas
- When Disaster Strikes, Enterprise Rent-A-Car and Insurance Industry Work Together
- Storm Surge
- A Go-to Resource for Recovery Post-Disasters
- Governor Cuomo Works With Car Rental Companies to Meet Consumer Demands
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s Integral Role in Local Transportation Infrastructure Highlighted at Homeland Security “Public-Private Partnerships” Conference
- Local Enterprise Rent-A-Car Offices Supporting FEMA, Utilities and Other Post-Irene Recovery Efforts