“Every time we open a new location or expand a business line, that’s another Canadian community that we get to be a part of, and that’s what keeps us vital and inspired.”
Steven Tudela, Corporate Vice President of Canadian Operations – Enterprise Holdings, June 2017
Enterprise opened its first international office in Windsor, Canada, on February 3, 1993. Over twenty-five years later, Enterprise Holdings operates its Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental, and Alamo Rent A Car brands through a global network of eight independent regional subsidiaries as one of Canada's best employers.
Our eight Canadian subsidiaries - which operate more than 760 airport and neighbourhood fully staffed locations - employ more than 5,800 people as of FY2019. Enterprise Holdings currently manages and operates a fleet exceeding 100,000 vehicles in Canada, underscoring the company’s leadership role as the largest car rental provider in the country. Our affiliate, Enterprise Fleet Management, provides full-service fleet management to companies, government agencies and organizations operating medium-sized fleets of 20 or more vehicles, as well as those seeking an alternative to employee reimbursement programs. Other transportation services offered under the Enterprise brand name in Canada include Truck Rental, CarShare and Exotic Car Collection.
At Enterprise, complete customer satisfaction is the principle that has guided our company along our journey so far, and it remains our culture today.
Our eight Canadian subsidiaries have regional headquarters in Calgary, Enfield, London, Mont-Royal, Ottawa, Surrey, Toronto and Winnipeg. These subsidiaries and our brand are recognized year after year for exemplifying our customer service guiding principle. Consumers named Enterprise Rent-A-Car the most trusted automobile rental brand in Canada, according to the 2018 Gustavson Brand Trust Index.
Meanwhile, Enterprise and National both placed in the top three spots in the annual J.D. Power 2018 North American Rental Car Satisfaction StudySM. The study surveyed leisure and business travelers who rented vehicles at airports in the U.S. and Canada.
The Enterprise brand ranked highest in this study and excelled in five factors: costs and fees, pick-up process, rental car, return process and reservation process. In fact, the Enterprise brand has received the highest score sixteen times (in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018).
In 2019, both the National and Enterprise brands were recognized as honourees in Travel + Leisure's World's Best Awards Hall of Fame, after being voted onto the list for the past 10 years. Enterprise was also honoured as the best car rental company in Canada and the US by travel agents in the Baxter Media 2019 Agents Choice Awards. The Agents' Choice is Canada's original and most authoritative travel industry poll.
We play a unique role in providing local transportation alternatives when wildfires, floods, severe storms or other natural disasters strike. For natural disaster relief and recovery, mobility is key, and with a network of neighbourhood and airport locations across Canada, and the largest vehicle fleet in North America, Enterprise Holdings is prepared to respond quickly and seamlessly.
Whether it’s a flood, fire, or ice storm, first responders, insurance adjusters, and government support workers are often first on the ground. They need vehicles to do the important work of offering relief and beginning recovery. When disaster strikes, Enterprise mobilizes an Emergency Action Plan which includes moving vehicles from around the country into the affected areas, to help ensure there are enough —and the right types of vehicles— to meet the unique demands of disaster response. Enterprise also works closely with our insurance and collision repair center partners to make sure customers have replacement vehicles as quickly as possible while their own cars are being repaired, or if they’ve experienced a total vehicle loss.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car's Mobile Emergency Response Vehicle operates as a portable, state-of-the-art branch office that can operate on a generator for more than 120 hours, supporting relief efforts even before local power is restored.
Employment & Economic Impact
In FY 2019, Enterprise Holdings contributed approximately $3.3 billion to the Canadian economy, and purchased 4.6 percent of all new vehicles sold in Canada at the cost of over $2.7 billion.
Enterprise Holdings is the largest car rental company in the country with more than 5,800 Enterprise, Alamo and National employees. It was named one of the best employers in the Greater Toronto Area by Mediacorp Canada Inc., in its 2017, 2018 and 2019 Greater Toronto’s Top Employers competition. In 2018, more than 500 new employees joined the renowned Enterprise Management Training Program in Canada, which provides a hands-on experience to teach management trainees how to run a business, empower teams and provide excellent customer service.
For more information about career opportunities at Enterprise Holdings in Canada, visit careers.enterprise.ca.
Sustainable Mobility & Autonomous Technology
Many consumers, businesses and government agencies in the United States, Canada and the UK also rely on their local Enterprise network to deliver carsharing technology's speed and flexibility when it makes sense. In Canada, the Enterprise CarShare brand operates in Toronto, as well as the Mississauga, Oshawa and Waterloo areas.
Enterprise Holdings' fleet is well-positioned to quickly and efficiently introduce millions of consumers to new fuel and vehicle technology, especially as transportation infrastructure and alternatives, including autonomous vehicles, evolve in the future.
In 2018, the Canadian Standing Senate Committee on Transport and Communications published a report – “Driving Change: Technology and the Future of the Automated Vehicle” – at the request of the Minister of Transport. More than 78 witnesses, including Enterprise, provided testimony as the Committee focused on regulatory and technical issues related to the deployment of automated and connected vehicles.
The report featured 16 specific recommendations, including “monitor[ing] the impact of automated and connected vehicle technology on competition between the various sectors of the automotive and mobility industries, in order to ensure that sectors such as the aftermarket and car rental companies continue to have access to the data they need to offer their services.”
In 2019, the Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance (CATA), of which Enterprise is a member, published a blog – "Canadian Innovation Leadership or Not in the Automotive Sector: Should Just the Automakers Control Access To Data from Autonomous Vehicles?" CATA also developed, in partnership with Enterprise, a video outlining the importance of open access to autonomous vehicle data, including perspectives from the European Economic Community and U.S. markets.
Corporate Social Responsibility
The Enterprise Holdings Foundation – the philanthropic arm of Enterprise Holdings – contributed more than $3.82 million in donations to Canadian charities in FY2019.
To mark our 25th anniversary in 2018, the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation honoured this significant milestone with a gift to help more Canadians connect with their communities, environment and each other. The Foundation donated $250,000 to establish the Enterprise Mobility Fund, which supports accessibility projects along The Great Trail throughout Canada.
Additionally, the Foundation’s global philanthropic initiatives help address critical areas of concern in Canada, including hunger and deforestation, and indigenous land and water management through the Routes & Roots®: Enterprise Healthy Rivers Project.
To see a comprehensive list of awards and recognitions received by Enterprise Holdings and its brands view the Enterprise Holdings Awards and Honors List.
Press Releases and Recent News
- Enterprise Holdings: On growth, leadership and family
- ACTA Press Release: ACTA and Enterprise Holdings Renew Corporate Partnership Through 2019
- Increased Access to Canada’s Landscapes and Heritages
- Enterprise Cuts All Ties
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car to Hire More Than 500 College Graduates in Canada…No Ties Required!
- Enterprise Holdings Celebrates 25 years in Canada
- Enterprise Celebrates a Quarter Century
- Canada’s Largest Car Rental Company Celebrating 25 Years of Growth, Success
- Enterprise 50 Year Tree Pledge Surpasses 12 Million Plantings, 100 Reforestation Projects
- Enterprise’s Fill Your Tank Program Reaches $20 Million in Donations to Help Fight Hunger (Canada)
- Enterprise Holdings and ACTA Announce the Renewal of Their Corporate Partnership
- More Than 7,900 Local Government Offices Alerted About Car Rental Customers' Traffic Fines, Tickets
- Enterprise Holdings Named To List of Top 100 Employers in Toronto
- Enterprise Holdings Inc. se classe parmi les 100 meilleurs employeurs à Toronto
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation Supporting Rivers and Watersheds with $30 Million Multinational Donation (Canada)
- World’s Largest Car Rental Company Gives Canadian Economy Nearly $2.8 Billion Boost
- Enterprise 50 Year Pledge Reaches 11 Million Tree Plantings in 2016
- Unprecedented $60 Million Donation to Fight Hunger Marks Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s 60th Anniversary (Canada)
- Enterprise Location d’Auto fête ses 60 ans par un don sans précédent de 60 M$ pour combattre la faim
- Canada’s Largest Car Rental Company Expanding Network in Toronto Area
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Pledging $100,000 to Canadian Red Cross Disaster Relief in Fort McMurray
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s Exotic Car Collection Expands Rapidly Across North America
- Toronto’s AutoShare Becomes Enterprise CarShare
- Canadians Using Rental Cars as ‘Ultimate Test Drive’ Before Making Purchase
- Enterprise Holdings Acquires Toronto-Based Metavera
- World’s Largest Car Rental Company Recognized for Recruitment Excellence in Canada
- World’s Largest Car Rental Company To Recruit for New Jobs in Bathurst, Miramichi, Fredericton and Moncton
- Ten Million Trees Planted in U.S., Canada, Europe Since 2006
- Arbor Day Foundation Plantings Total 9 Million Trees with Gift from Enterprise