Enterprise 50 Million Tree Pledge
“The Arbor Day Foundation’s professional management helps ensure that our investment in global reforestation has the best success rate possible and leaves a lasting legacy for generations to come.”
Jo Ann Taylor Kindle, President – Enterprise Holdings Foundation, December 2016
The Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation is funding the planting of 50 million trees throughout the U.S., Canada, France, Germany, Spain and the U.K. as part of the Enterprise 50 Million Tree Pledge.
Established in honor of the company’s 50th anniversary and to thank customers for their longtime support, the tree-planting program was made possible through a unique public-private partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation.
Each project is individually selected to prioritize immediate reforestation needs and to help restore ecosystems after wildfires or other natural disasters strike. The Enterprise 50 Million Tree Pledge will have planted 12 million trees by the end of 2017 – and 50 million trees by 2056.
Other organizations assisting in the realization of this global corporate social responsibility initiative include:
- The U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. National Park Service
- National Association of State Foresters
- Tree Canada
- Trees Ontario
- UK’s Woodland Trust
- France’s Reforest’Action
- Spain’s Sustainable Forests (Bosques Sostenibles)
- German Forest Protection Association (Schutzgemeinschaft Deutscher Wald)
What Can 50 Million Trees Do?
According to the Arbor Day Foundation, 50 million trees can absorb more than 50 million pounds of carbon, produce oxygen for up to 200 million people per day and lift as much as a billion gallons of water out of the ground and into the air.
Trees also intercept rain, slow runoff and filter out pollutants before they enter our streams, lakes and rivers. In fact, more than half of the U.S. population enjoys healthy drinking water thanks to forests.
As demand for clean water increases, so will the need for healthy forests around the world. To date, the trees planted have helped restore critical watersheds in California, Colorado, Florida, Canada, the U.K. and dozens of other forests around the globe. These trees will serve people, our environment and water resources for generations to come.
For a full list of 50 Million Tree Pledge planting projects, click here.
50 Million Tree Pledge Planting Projects of 2017
- 220,000 in the Econfina Creek Water Management Area, Florida
- 180,000 trees in Lake Superior State Forest, Michigan
- 118,000 trees in Superior National Forest, Minnesota
- 100,000 trees in Stanislaus National Forest, California
- 100,000 trees in Davy Crockett National Forest, Texas
- 75,200 trees to the Woodland Trust in the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland
- 57,000 trees in the Willamette River Basin, Oregon
- 40,000 trees in Landes Forest, France
- 40,000 trees to the Rolling River First Nation in Manitoba, Canada
- 25,000 trees in Pike National Forest, Colorado
- 20,000 trees in Ireland
- 14,800 trees in the Erzgebirgskreis Administrative District, Germany
- 10,000 trees in the Navarre Forest, Spain
Related Press Releases and Recent News
Photo Credit: U.S. Forest Service/Arbor Day Foundation